How to determine the web hosting needs of a website is an important question that finds its place in the discussion between a website owner and the webmaster consulted. In order to estimate your web hosting needs you need to have a clear understanding of the features of a hosting plan and their functional specifications as per the business requirements.
Following points may help you to estimate your hosting needs with an ease.
· Understanding Website Requirements: Websites use technologies, programming languages, scripts and in some cases databases as well for development. The web programmer should be able to work on the best technicalities possible. Each element used occupies some disk space. Thus, he needs to make a proper balance between the latest, economical and easy maintenance technologies at affordable prices.
· Understanding Disk Space: Every website comprises of files occupying different amounts of disk space. There are text-based web pages that are lighter and need less space and there are heavy web pages infused with images. Disk space to load heavy pages with ease and convenience are comparatively more expensive.
· Understanding Bandwidth: Every website consumes bandwidth on every action performed, either a download or an upload. As the website traffic increases, the actions on the webpage increases and hence bandwidth consumption increases. More the bandwidth more is the price of the hosting plan.
· Understanding Hosting Types: There are mainly six types of hosting plans, shared hosting, virtual private server hosting, dedicated server hosting, cloud hosting, managed hosting, and collocation hosting. Choose what suits the best to your business needs and scope.
· Understanding Hosting Plan: Based on the finalized budget and the requirements of your business, choose the best hosting plan.
Helpful Tips to Estimate Hosting Needs
· Don’t jump into learning the technicalities yourself; a basic understanding is enough. Consult the web-programmer for specifics.
· Try to make the website as light as possible, so that it occupies as much less disk space as possible.
· Try to make the web pages as light as possible, so that they consume low bandwidth and is faster to load.
· Check if the web hosting service provider supports the technologies and databases versions used.
· Look for the webmasters who can suggest you with the best possible combination of the features discussed at affordable price structure.
· Look for the service providers who provide the facility of upgrading on minimal or preferably no charges at all.